Thursday, September 10, 2009

EdPsych- Week 2 Assessment

1)Bloom's Taxonomy:
1-Remember-students recall and recognize (without understanding).
2-Understand- Students make sense of information (prior knowledge), no connections.
3-Apply-data, solve a problem/complete task.
4--Analyze-thinking> distinguish, classify, relate assumption, hypotheses, question
5-Evaluate-Judge value of materials, methods, or ideas.
6-Create-original product, plan, proposal.

2)Validity is the purpose for which the test is used and it is based on content validity in tests, where if you want to test a class about math, the content of the test should be on that unit of math that was taught.
Reliability focuses more on the "consistency of test result" based on the frequency of testing. (This is where is differs from validity, which is based on content). Thus, reliability tests wuite frequently, the same test, to see how consistent the results are.

3)Product performance assessment (formative)- A coach watches a child dribbling the ball and then offers suggestions of ball handling.
Process performance assessment(summative)- A band director listens to each trumpet player in order to assign them a spot in the field for the next three football games.

4)Evaluating performance assessments: presentation, portfolio, projects .

5)I feel that if teachers overlook assessment bias that they will not yield valid results on assessments that they administer to students. Thus, the teachers are also overlooking what is really needed for the students' improvement.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I would just say that that performance assessments focused on process are generally formative and performance assessments focused on products are generally summative. This part is a little confusing in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Krysta!

    I was just reading what you took away with you from the reading. Here are some of my thoughts:

    2. Daren and I will be giving this nifty demonstration during class about validity and reliability, so I won't repeat myself here. I will say, though, that a test can be reliable without being valid (it consistently gives an inaccurate score), but it cannot be valid without also being reliable.

    5. When I was answering this question, I kept thinking back to our literacy class, when we did posters. Remember? My poster was on the reasons for assessment. If you don't remember the reasons, here they are: to determine students' knowledge (so you know what to teach), to determine if students are learning what you're trying to teach, to assess students' strengths and weaknesses (this gives the teacher a focus), and to keep a record of student progress.

    It occurred to me as I was working on the lesson plan Daren and I will be presenting today that assessment bias destroys the purpose of assessment. It distorts your view of students' knowledge and understanding, and takes away your tool to really understand what your students need to learn.

    I'm done.

    p.s. Did I ever tell you that my grandma's name is Krista? Although she often goes by Kris. ;)

    Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete